In 2022, several months before departure, the Mars One selection committee will determine which groups in training are ready to depart to Mars. We expect at least six groups will be ready for the trip. Each of these groups will have obtained the qualifications and skills necessary for the trip to Mars, so in that respect it should not matter who goes first. However, the symbolic and historic significance of this issue is a different matter altogether. Who will be the first four people on Mars? Who will get to be the first human in history to set foot on the Red Planet and be known for it forever?
Because our mission is humankind's mission, we will make this a democratic decision. The people of Earth will have a vote which group of four will be the first Earth ambassadors on Mars.
- What are the qualifications to apply?
- Can I already apply to become an astronaut?
- How will the astronaut selection proceed?
- Why will multiple groups train to go to Mars?
- How are the astronauts prepared?